Here’s a roundup of some of the stories that have captured Life & Soul Magazine’s attention this week:
1. 5 Indigenous And Native Activists Who Made An Impact In 2019 – Huffington Post profiles five Indigenous and Native activists who have had a powerful influence this year on their communities and in the world.
2. How quickly do fashion materials biodegrade? – The vast majority of materials on earth will biodegrade. The problem is that some, like plastic, will take a millennium to disappear. So what does it mean when a product is labelled as “biodegradable”? Vogue Business asks.
3. 2020 Will Be The Year Of Sustainable Business: Here’s Why – The first fundamental shift we will see in the next year will be some of the world’s biggest companies actively transforming their supply chains to become “circular,” under pressure from ethically-minded consumers, says Forbes.
4. Chew On This: Farmers Are Using Food Waste To Make Electricity – Dairy farmers in Massachusetts are using food waste to create electricity. They feed waste into anaerobic digesters, built and operated by Vanguard Renewables, which capture the methane emissions and make renewable energy, NPR reports.
5. This world map rates countries by the sustainability of their food systems – Food systems are going to need to be resilient to withstand climate change’s effects on agriculture. Looking at 20 factors, researchers now have a big picture about which countries are most under threat, Fast Company writes.
6. How Tesco, Sainsbury’s, M&S and other UK supermarkets are reducing plastic waste this Christmas – From ditching glitter to removing black plastic packaging, this is what UK stores are doing to take out plastic this December, the Evening Standard reports.
7. No-waste cooking: used orange and almond cake recipe – The Guardian features a zero-waste recipe from Amelia Wasiliev that makes use of used orange halves.
Rosa Medea is Life & Soul Magazine’s Chief. She writes about lifestyles including sustainable and green living. She also offers content services to businesses and individuals at Rosamedea.com